Tuesday 9 November 2010

I've bought Nothing

In these harsh times, and my female desire to continually purchase something for my own sense of self in the world, this was a particularly good purchase to make. Yes I bought Nothing. Nothing is a recent campaign by thegreenthing to highlight the fact that surplus consumption results in surplus production, and therefore results in a society of wasteful beings - we should "Stick with what we've got and be Happy". Playing along, I clicked on the amazon mock page and made my purchase, to be shortly followed by two amusing and well written emails:




Dear jodmd,
 
Your Nothing is now being hand-crafted by a dedicated team of Nobodies in our 
factory in Nada-nadaland.
 
ITEM DETAILS:
 
 - 1 x Nothing
 - Cost: £0.00
 - Delivery estimate: 08 November 2010 (Monday)
 - Dispatch estimate: 04 November 2010 (Thursday)
 - Sold by: Nothing Ventures, Nothing Gains Ltd.
 
Thank you for shopping with us. 
 
 
  
Dear jodmd,
 
I regret to inform you there has been a problem with your order (Reference: TH1NA1R-N4DA).
 
A disgruntled former employee of Nothing Ventures, Nothing Gains Ltd snuck into our Nada-nadaland
factory last week and tampered with the seals on all our Nothings.
 
We take non-product safety extremely seriously, and so have issued a worldwide product recall of
Nothing effective immediately.
 
We're afraid nobody will be getting Nothing for the immediate future.
 
Please bear with us at this difficult time - we will send Nothing to you as soon as possible.
 
Thank you for your understanding.
 
Yours sincerely,
 
Jack Schitt
Junior Deputy Vice-manager-in-chief, Non-Product Safety Division, Nothing Ventures, Nothing Gains Ltd 
 
 
 
This was then followed up by my delivery of nothing ensuring me that "Nothing's gonna change your world".
I was relieved. 
 

No comments: